I’ve completed the first pass of categorization and tagging. I don’t know that the remaining dissonance will be sufficient to take me through a second complete pass, but I’ve made a few focused updates already, so I may yet think of more small adjustments. On the whole, however, there is a great deal less in Uncategorized, and the tags are useful enough to enable the tag cloud.
Archive for the ‘Site Update’ Category.
I suppose I ought, at some point, to describe what happened.
For a long time my web site has been been sitting with both feet squarely in the Web 1.0 era – completely static, and built with a barely supported templating tool most people have never heard of. Updates were kind of painful because every piece of new content had to go in place, with a note on the front page, probably pushing off an old entry, copied to history, and last-updated dates maintained.
Not wanting to dive down a rabbit hole of development, I took the semi-maintained WordPress from my hosting company, counting on the large community and vested interests to keep PHP (and it’s crackers) under control. I spent an evening trying to convert content to pages, but watching painstakingly styled and cross-linked pages fade to a uniform text convinced me to leave them alone in a parallel static site, at least until such time as I need to update things. The exception is the Site Updates, which were a sort of psuedo-blog and naturally fit the new format.
The rest of the content is an import from my Livejournal account, with most of the programming and software content moved over to Wondible.com, a domain I’ve been sitting on for a year. I’ve done some cleanup already, but there is still a fair bit of classification and tagging for the old content.