Crossover II

Wrapping up Crossover I

2007-02-09: Mortgage balance reaches 0.

I wended my way though Citi’s phone system earlier today to confirm that they had received the payment. Estimates over the last few years put payoff anywhere from three years (a year ago) to one year (a few months ago), but backed up by un-expected savings bonds, cashed-out under-performing CDs, and a year end bonus from my employer, and finally the consideration that my ‘six months living expenses’ don’t need to quite so large without a mortgage, the picture got better every time I look at it.

This, however, after the initial recovery, leaves me with the question of what to do with my money. Real estate taxes alone means that housing will be far from free, but the mortgage was still a pretty big chunk of it. First of all, some art actually caught my eye a few months ago (Summit Doors being the lesser of them; I may make a more concerted effort to contact the other artist for Shore of Dreams after other things are taken care of.) Secondly, while my computer is holding pretty well (discounting the failed partition on the original hard drive) it won’t last forever. Neither will the car, and while it should have a long life yet, it has a corresponding large price tag. Beyond that, there charity, savings, and the great unknown future with opportunities yet to be revealed.

Meanwhile, would anybody be interested in a house-owning party?

8 Comments

1. kyrielle says:

Woohoo!! :)

2. mandydax says:

Wow! Congratulations! ^_^ I’d come to a house-owning party, if I’m up for driving whenever it is… ~_^

3. trifthen says:

Dude, you are so lucky to have gotten a place up here before the market went nuts. Your condo is probably worth like 4x what you paid for it by now, *and* you paid it off!

You’re rich, biatch!

And I live up here, so obviously I’m game. ;)

4. That’s absolutely wonderful, Justin. I’m very impressed, and that pleased for you. I only wish I could make it out there, but I’m using all my PTO for two planned excursions in May.

5. admin says:

In the best of all possible senarios, only twice. Of course anything I tried to buy would be equally inflated, and I probably paid the difference in interest anyway.

You know, it’s really kind of a shame we don’t see each other more often, being in the same region and all. I think my original DDR pad is in need of surgery, if we need an excuse.

By the way, did you see my question about the fate of your old laptop?

6. admin says:

Definately after winter. That and planning time if anybody far away actually wants to come. Of course then I start to fall into the aura of the C&G AlumniCon.

7. admin says:

Thanks :-) If I do the party at all it will be far enough out that some far away could actually plan a trip, but I would expect few if any from outside the region (which doesn’t leave much, unfortunately.)

8. trifthen says:

Doh! No, I didn’t see your note about my old laptop. It’s been gathering dust since I got the new one. I need to sit down and format/reinstall the old one and gather all its software so I can pass it down to someone else.

It’s a Dell 4150 with an upgraded 60GB 7200 RPM Seagate hard drive, and an upgraded Intel 2195 ABG wireless card. The whole rig is about 4-years old, but has no weird screen-glitches as seems common with laptops of that age. Still not sure what I should do with it, but if your friend is still in the market and doesn’t mind having an old relic, have ‘em contact me. Heh.